Tuesday 12 December 2006

Making my mark



"Making my Mark, whats with the name Andrew?" A good question and I'm glad you asked, it came to me in a flash. I was writing one of those long emails to a good friend. I was telling him about my year and how the family was, I ended it:

  • 'we all do our little bit to make our marks and you know, those marks may not be big, dynamic earth shattering marks, but they are ours and we should be able to look at them with pleasure.'

I thought a bit more about this comment and it struck me. I want to leave good marks that will motivate and encourage for generations to come. I'm unlikely to leave super rich tycoon marks, but hopefully I can leave some reasonable endurance sports ones like:

  • Run marathons
  • Be an Ironman

So, for me, the motivation for doing all this training/racing is to leave my mark, to encourage my children to have goals and to put in the effort to achieve their goals. And of course to beat the person just ahead of me!